Features

Coordinator
Feb 8, 2011 at 12:49 PM

If anyone has suggestions for features please post them here so we can look at them and possibly add them in.

Feb 8, 2011 at 3:59 PM

I was thinking that a tie in web site that keeps the inventory report online would be a nice feature. It's good for the people who want to keep things paperless and for the folks who always seem to lose stuff; like me.

Feb 8, 2011 at 4:55 PM
Edited Feb 8, 2011 at 5:55 PM

A website would be nice, but you would have to find someone willingly to host the storage and always keep it open for as long a the application is supported.  If you where going to do that thought, you might as well keep a online database of various items that can be downloaded into the application for easier use.

Just a few suggestions:
**frmAdd - Add comboboxes for Category/Condition/Insured to ensure data uniformity
****Create a form to maintain the list of categories for the user

**Add warranty length and a check (when ever you want) to see if anything it out of warranty

**You will have to address the Quantity field (if you haven't already) as each item has a unique serial number

**Create reports by using XML files and XSLT for formatting purposes (Can be opened in browsers which have a large range of media options so you don't have to build them into your application, but personal choice I suppose)

**This really is a personal preference, but you use the database wizard to build the schema, but I perfer to use the N-tier method w/o the use of the wizard.  It really lets you add much more functionality to it and isn't so limiting if you make your own DAL.

Coordinator
Feb 8, 2011 at 8:28 PM

I don't understand the last part. I could be reading it wrong but, the database was done using SQL management studio. Did not use a wizard all hand coded in queries. I may be misunderstanding the statement.

Good catch on the quantity I did not even think of it.

The website thing could be doable. People could put their own web host in there and as they add an item they could press upload report and it could upload a page to a web server. Even a free we3b host would be option. I just think FTP functionality would need to be implemented in the program

Feb 9, 2011 at 3:33 PM

Sorry, I meant the design time components the create the datasets/binding/adapters.

Coordinator
Feb 10, 2011 at 1:35 AM

Ahh yes. Well, fortunately all I needed was simple stuff. Once I need to get into hard core stuff I will do those queries in transact.