Access or SQL Server CE?

Coordinator
Feb 6, 2011 at 12:40 AM

I am thinking of moving the database to access, this way there would not need to be a major download of SQL Server ce. Anyone have thoughts on this?

Feb 7, 2011 at 7:52 PM

Well, the JET driver for access should be on most computers today so it is probably the best choice as a SQL database is a little overkill for a Home Inventory app.  Another alternative is to use XML files and XPath to query the files.  This probably isn't as good as the database, but it gives you another option, if you want.

Coordinator
Feb 8, 2011 at 12:45 PM

I am going to use Access. XML is a good way to go but I am not sure how large the database of the end users could get. So Access seems to be the only viable solution next to SQLite, and I never have worked with SQLite

Developer
Feb 9, 2011 at 12:04 AM

In the past I have used XML, which wouldn't have any performance slow down if used to keep track of items within a home.  In the past I've created test queries in a XML database of 10k entries without any major slowdown.  SQLite is good too, I've used it when working on android applications and have liked it a lot.  One good thing about using XML or SQLite is that if we were to develop mobile applications for Home Inventory, it would be very easy to sync from device to device.